Corporate responsibility at Shufersal
Shufersal has fully adopted the values of corporate social responsibility (CSR) vis-à-vis all its stakeholders: customers, suppliers, employees, the community, and the environment.
With more than 13,000 employees, millions of customers per week, and thousands of suppliers, Shufersal has extensive corporate social responsibility.
Shufersal’s CSR is reflected in the following:
- Business strategy – In advancing its business strategy, Shufersal is fully committed to responsible conduct, including fair pricing, proper non-discriminatory employment practices, preference for Israeli suppliers, and prevention of corruption.
- Conduct of management and the board of directors – Shufersal’s management and board of directors are committed to leading the Company according to ethical principles, including a clear separation of duties between management and the board, fair representation of external directors, full transparency vis-à-vis its stakeholders, and reporting on officeholder remuneration.
- Commercial fairness – the Company is committed to responsible and fair conduct on all commercial levels: products, customer service, advertising, and marketing.
- Agreements with suppliers – Shufersal has fair and fully transparent relations with its suppliers.
- Environmental responsibility – the Company frequently examines its environmental impact in order to reduce it as much as possible. Shufersal’s environmental responsibility practices include mechanisms to reduce power consumption, reducing and removing waste responsibly, managing wastewater, encouraging customers to use reusable bags, and adopting green building principles.
- Fair work environment – Shufersal complies with labor laws, upholds employee dignity, offers career development and promotion opportunities, employs members from every population segment, trains employees, and more.
- Social responsibility – Shufersal’s social responsibility practices in Israel includes philanthropy, cooperation with NGOs and other social organizations, launch of customer donation campaigns, and distribution of food to the needy.
Managing corporate responsibility at Shufersal
As in any other area, Shufersal manages its corporate responsibility activity pursuant to an annual work plan. CSR is managed as part of the Company’s external relations activity, and related issues are often presented to management to ensure its direct involvement. In 2016, Shufersal was included in the Maala Index of Corporate Responsibility for the fourth consecutive year, and currently holds the highest rating, Platinum +, following steady improvement in this area.