Creating value for employees
Shufersal considers human resources to be the key to its success, and places strong emphasis on fair and well-paid employment, career development, and creating opportunities for promotion, as follows:
- Employment diversity and non-discrimination – Shufersal offers equal opportunity to all population segments, including under-represented ones. The Company is committed to hiring and employing men and women, new immigrants, haredim (ultra-orthodox), and minorities, ensuring zero discrimination in employee promotion. Fifty-five percent of Shufersal’s employees are women, who account for 32% of managers.
- Commitment to employee development – Shufersal is committed to every employee’s personal and career development, professional training, and promotion. Over the year, the Company’s employees participate in professional conferences and training courses aimed at providing them with tools for success - each according to his or her role and specific needs. The Company frequently holds seminars for managers at various levels, with the objective of enriching their knowledge of professional material and general topics.
- Creating a safe work environment – Shufersal takes all measures necessary to prevent accidents by providing its employees with special protective gear and training them on precautionary measures.
- Strict compliance with human rights on the job – Shufersal scrupulously ensures responsible employment and the protection of employee rights, shunning the employment of minors and forced labor practices, emphasizing business ethics, and preventing sexual harassment.
- Upholding the right of association – Shufersal respects its employees' right of association through workers’ committees. About 90% of Shufersal’s employees are employed under collective agreements, which determine their employment conditions and compensation terms, social rights, bonuses, and benefits
- Upholding contract workers’ rights – Shufersal currently employs about 1,000 contract workers in a variety of positions, and is committed to working with HR contractors who practice lawful employment. For this purpose, every contractor is meticulously reviewed prior to finalizing its agreement with Shufersal.
- Listening to employees – Shufersal holds frequent dialogues with its employees via various means, in order to draw lessons and enhance employee engagement, thereby improving job satisfaction. The dialogue is undertaken by district and store managers, and through the workers’ committee, which represents the Company’s employees. Shufersal believes that employee satisfaction is critical to providing high-quality customer service and therefore seeks to promote employee satisfaction.
The challenge: employee retention and advancement
Shufersal considers itself committed to its employees and their success. To this end, the Company offers its employees tools and opportunities for promotion and career development, in line with the Company’s needs and each employee’s capabilities. The guiding principle in managing Shufersal’s human resources is the understanding that employees are, above all, people, who are the Company’s main driving force and primary differentiator from the competition.
Shufersal offers training and enrichment programs that help employees carry out their duties in the best possible manner, including:
- Management training – leadership succession courses for store- and deputy store managers, where they learn about theoretical and practical topics, and professional material about the retail industry, in addition to gaining hands-on experience in management and leadership.
- Professional training is provided to employees in the bakery, meat deli, dairy deli, and other departments, with emphasis on expert know-how. The Company’s goal is for its service departments’ employees to provide professional advice to customers on how to best use the products and maximize the value derived from the service.
- Service training – service workshops for customer-facing employees. The objective of these workshops is to motivate the employees by teaching them to provide added value, to instill in them the Company’s service values and to create high-quality encounters with customers.
- Enrichment programs are held at Shufersal’s branches, which include professional training and refresher courses on routine work, safety, and procedures.
Employee welfare and entertainment
The activities initiated by the workers’ committee include an annual three-day joint vacation, as well as other group cohesion, entertainment, and recreation activities, which bring together thousands of employees from across the country. The Company’s Employee Days are well-known as fun and cohesive events, which employees look forward to as an opportunity to meet colleagues from other geographical areas and have a good time together. The workers’ committee also holds various activities for employees, subsidizes tickets to shows and sites, and gives employees gifts on holidays and for their children, as well as assistance in times of need.